MC Nova: Something New

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MC Nova: Something New

MC Nova, something new in the world of Minecraft.

+2
Benislav
Norsak
6 posters

Regarding Selling

Norsak
    Dirt Member
    Dirt Member

Regarding Selling Empty Regarding Selling

Post by Norsak Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:52 pm

First of all, let me say that this server is, well, my Minecraft home. I've never seriously gotten into Minecraft enough to join a community and actively have plans for the future. For that, thanks.

Anyway.

After the introduction of a Resource Realm, JavaWarlord, Benislav, and I briefly discussed the benefits and purpose to an economy system on a server. Currently, it seems like people just don't buy things. Maybe it's just me, but this seems to be the case on a lot of servers that I've visited. Sure, players are able to sell things, but people would rather hoard or have the most money. No one wants to buy diamonds if they can easily mine them for themselves. Also, I find that I give away items to people who offer to buy them. It just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to charge people when there's no point in having so much money.

We began to talk about adding novelty items for purchase. If I could buy some unique item with a huge chunk of currency, I know that I'd collect as many as I could to build a cool structure. Beyond bedrock, sponge, and cracked stone brick, I'm not sure what other possibilities are available. Titles? Capes? I really don't know.

To make my point, I should also mention my thoughts on the /sell command. As it is right now, when you /sell an item, you receive currency and the item disappears. This eliminates the benefit of selling to other players, because /selling is instant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same goes for the server shops. I almost wish that there was more of a benefit to selling, especially to the server.

Still with me? Here's my idea:

Allow server shops. I'm sure people will still use them, and it encourages villages and groups. Allow players to purchase novelty items for huge prices. Expand the server shop at spawn, but make the prices much lower. Remove the /sell command or reduce the prices significantly to keep people selling to each other. Lastly, use the resources that are sold to the server to build structures at spawn. I'm sure administrating leaves little time to relax and build, so maybe designate a player or 2 to be the server builders.

To summarize my point, I'd like to see a benefit to selling to the server shop. I'd also like to see the server improve as I contribute.
    Benislav
    Admin

Regarding Selling Empty Re: Regarding Selling

Post by Benislav Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:37 pm

I agree with most points here.  /sell is another command that was never really meant to be used, but unlike /back and /nick, it's not one I'm too keen on allowing people to use just because they've been allowed it in the past.  I see the economy as a central tie-in to the community, and that's how I'd like it to work.  I'm going to work on removing the ability to remotely use /sell, and I'm very interested in compiling a team of people who wish to overhaul spawn.  Up until this point, spawn has really been a few projects in the center by Cheese and my (with the generous help of joe and Astri,) building of the rail station.  I really am interested in seeing who'd be up for helping out with spawn.
    Norsak
    Dirt Member
    Dirt Member

Post by Norsak Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:29 pm

I, for one, would be delighted to help with spawn. Do you think it would be good to permit the builders to only use those donated/sold items?
    Norsak
    Dirt Member
    Dirt Member

Post by Norsak Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't know who suggested this - maybe it was Java. It would be nice if we could purchase blocks for claiming. I know that I'd love to build more, but I'm limited by block space right now.
    Benislav
    Admin

Post by Benislav Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:21 pm

As far as purchasing goes, you should be able to.  Try /buyclaimblocks.
    JavaWarlord
    Cobblestone Member
    Cobblestone Member

Post by JavaWarlord Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:21 pm

I agree. I don't really see any reason for the server to buy or sell any physical items that anyone could get on their own. Physical items should only be sold / traded between players.

The server selling items that CANNOT be normally obtained? Great! I can get behind that. Also, the server should sell non-physical items such as (for example) land blocks, /back, and /warp functions.

Now, the only part I am still mulling over, with players exchanging money and items, and the server providing money sinks, how do we get new money into player hands?

Last edited by JavaWarlord on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Benislav
    Admin

Post by Benislav Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:50 am

I think iConomy allows wealth to grow over time, but I'm not sure this would cause much other than inflation.  So far, the main purpose of the server shop is to act as a money sink and generator, mostly the latter.  Beyond that, I'm not exactly sure.  As far as selling non-obtainables in the server shop goes, this is something I've been totally up for for a while.  I was very much planning on selling saddles and name tags after the next update, as I think that making them dungeon-exclusive is interesting for single player, but practically useless for multiplayer.
    mightymatt0
    Cobblestone Member
    Cobblestone Member

Post by mightymatt0 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:48 am

i agree
    Astriii
    Astriii
    Cobblestone Member
    Cobblestone Member

Regarding Selling Empty Marketplace, admin shops and currency suggestions

Post by Astriii Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 pm

First of all; I'd love to help out with spawn. Haven't been much online lately, due to taking care of my boyfriend who had a really bad back (couldn't move without insane pain). Its slowly getting better now though.

My suggestions regarding shops and the economy system

Create a marketplace by spawn, with small plots for the players to claim. It will make spawn a gathering point for the players, it will be easy finding and accessing the shops as well as running around to see who sells what for what price.

I also think the current shops allowing you to sell dirt, cobble and planks should be removed. Let the players create their own buy/sell shops.

Set up a admin shop/black market selling unobtainable/extremely rare blocks (circled stone block, cobweb, end portal frame, cracked stone brick, chain mail armor, mushroom stalk, the beige mushroom block, sponge, xp bottles, fire block, 1/7 snow, spawn eggs and similar)

Base the economy off something, like iron. Get a plugin to avoid golem iron drop. Have it at sell/buy rate 10 credits a piece or so. The reason I suggest iron is that once players establish a bit on the server, most move on to using diamond. Gold is another item used on many servers, however they still serve a purpose with the rails among many other items, and are a bit to rare compared to iron.

Off course, this is all just suggestions. Keep in mind that with a small player base it might be hard to be a shop owner, but I think it could work out and be a nice system over time. I believe the most important factor besides players is to make the shop feature easy accessible. It will take some work on the staff side, to keep up with shops that are inactive, giving the player time to restock or to take down the shop or if neither of those are done, the staff will have to remove the shop and free up space for new players.
    MasonDerp
    MasonDerp
    Dirt Member
    Dirt Member

Post by MasonDerp Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:46 am

I am all in favor of an active economy, I am more of a person that likes to build over long sessions and am not one to be found in the mines.  That being said, please be aware that in my case as it pertains to Minecraft add-on's, I know nothing.   I literally have 1 diamond currently, and the idea of being able to buy items is appealing to me so I don't have to stop building.  I was browsing the /help menu (which obviously doesn't exist on the XB360) to try and find out how to get things rolling, but I couldn't figure it out.   scratch  I wanted to buy a saddle so I could get one of the horses near the spawn while they were there.  Is there a thread that clearly lays out the commands and intricacies of the mods; I don't need my hand held, but I do need to know what it is I am specifically using.  

TL:DR -  There is a lot of intrest on my end, just lack of understanding how it works.  

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify, Simplify!"  - Henry David Thoreau

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am