MC Nova: Something New

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MC Nova: Something New

MC Nova, something new in the world of Minecraft.

4 posters

Open Discussion on Transport Plugins

Benislav
    Admin

Open Discussion on Transport Plugins Empty Open Discussion on Transport Plugins

Post by Benislav Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:30 am

Hey, everyone. It's been a while since we started the trial period of removing transport commands and I'm now looking for the beginning of real feedback. Before you reply, I ask that you read a bit of a piece about the removal and use it to fuel your reasoning and perhaps add to your thoughts. Here:

I'd like everyone to understand the full purpose of removing the plugins. When I first imagined Nova, I imagined a community with close-knit towns and interaction. Elements such as the world border were put in place in hopes of keeping everyone close and inspiring people to work together to build towns, houses, inns, and whatever else they could imagine. After having Nova up for a couple of months, we've certainly seen towns and cooperation, but I don't think the emphasis has been placed on this type of gameplay.

Now, I understand that some people like to play as hermits or just a little further away from others, and I don't mean to condemn that playstyle. My intentions are never to force people to interact or cooperate, but instead to make sure that doing so is emphasized and made easy. What we've seen so far is sort of a "base" system, with most people having their own base fit with storage and farms. This is fine, but it comes with the one core problem of boredom. Building a base is entertaining while it lasts, but I've found with myself and others that after the core base is done, inspiration likes to evaporate. Instead of this "base" system, I'd love to see people developing towns and communities. Like I'd said, though. Living outside the towns should be an option, but I'd like to see more people embracing cooperation and development.

Essentially, now, I'd like to hand the conversation over to you, the very much appreciated players of Nova. What commands do you think work with the system I'm going for? Why? Which do not? What do you think could enhance the server or make it bend more to this way of play? I'm really looking forward to your responses, everyone. Thanks a lot!
    Jediah_614
    Dirt Member
    Dirt Member

Open Discussion on Transport Plugins Empty Re: Open Discussion on Transport Plugins

Post by Jediah_614 Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:38 am

I've really enjoyed the trial without transport commands. It sure motivated me, as well as others, to build things such as rails and roads between places, and I think it definitely brought the community closer together. I think having no commands is best for the system you've described, because rather than simply teleporting somewhere you have a reason to build things that will help connect parts of the community and increase interaction. I also think there are two current flaws, that could be fixed. One is where you spawn upon death. I really think players should spawn at their beds, it's an important part of Vanilla Minecraft, so why not on this semi-vanilla server? Spawning at beds isn't as powerful as /home, and some people get extremely bummed out when they die and have to either run or ride a 5-10 minute rail. I believe several people would agree. The second flaw in my opinion regarding /spawn. I think the /spawn command should be taken away as well. I know you can only use /spawn in the resource world, etc. but it is an easy work around (/warp resource & /spawn). I'm not sure if this is possible, but perhaps make players return to where they used /warp resource when they leave, or get rid of /warp resource and create a portal of some kind at spawn(while also getting rid of /spawn). Sorry if this is a bit long XD.
    ZH
    ZH

Open Discussion on Transport Plugins Empty Re: Open Discussion on Transport Plugins

Post by ZH Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Well, I read this as you want towns- Get the towny plugin XD. Towny won't necessarily force people to create/join towns, but it would definitely encourage it... towny also has a nations feature, which allows multiple towns to band together. Also, if you set the price of starting a town at say $5000, it may encourage use of the in-game money, and therefore be beneficial to the server's economy, just something to think about.

Also, as far as player interaction goes, I suggest a a roleplay plugin of some sort.

As for the transport commands, I also believe we should spawn in our beds...
    Benislav
    Admin

Post by Benislav Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:29 am

Good responses so far, guys. Right now, I'm definitely considering Towny but would like to discuss it more both with the staff and with you. Can I get any more recommendations or information on it? It sounds good so far.

Spawning in beds is something I'm interested in adding as well.
    ZH
    ZH

Post by ZH Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Well for starters, I believe towny IS compatible with the iconomy AND Dynamic map plugins, so starting a town would be no problem. However, towny is very similar to the Grief Prevention plugin, and may be slightly redundant. Towny and Griefprevention are extremely similar, but towny has more options for player interaction. In addition, the amount of land that can be claimed by towny is dependent on the number of players living in a town, which are basically called "claimzones", which are full chunk-sized pieces of land. So basically towns with more members have more claim space, which could encourage people to live together. Another option with towny is offering town owners more control, as the mayors of towns can toggle options such as firespread, mobspawning, and even pvp within their towns. There are many different aspects of towny, which make it an extremely fun plugin to work with. I feel like a trial run of towny would be a good idea, just so people could get a feel of what it is like.
    MitchT

Post by MitchT Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Yes they are compatible. I was on a server that ran those to.
    tsukuru
    tsukuru
    Stone Member
    Stone Member

Post by tsukuru Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:48 am

ZH wrote:Well for starters, I believe towny IS compatible with the iconomy AND Dynamic map plugins, so starting a town would be no problem. However, towny is very similar to the Grief Prevention plugin, and may be slightly redundant. Towny and Griefprevention are extremely similar, but towny has more options for player interaction. In addition, the amount of land that can be claimed by towny is dependent on the number of players living in a town, which are basically called "claimzones", which are full chunk-sized pieces of land. So basically towns with more members have more claim space, which could encourage people to live together. Another option with towny is offering town owners more control, as the mayors of towns can toggle options such as firespread, mobspawning, and even pvp within their towns. There are many different aspects of towny, which make it an extremely fun plugin to work with. I feel like a trial run of towny would be a good idea, just so people could get a feel of what it is like.

I have never tried towny before, but it sounds very interesting and ZH has done a good job selling it. I would be willing to give it a try. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:36 am